Thursday, June 25, 2009

Berry Picking....YUM YUM!

My boys and I have taken a few adventurous trips these past weeks. Our first trip was with some friends to a field across the road from their house with wild blackberries growing rampant! We trudged out about 6 PM on a Tuesday evening and ended up with about 6 or 7 cups of blackberries! We had blackberry cobbler, blackberry pancakes, blackberries in our cereal and just plain old blackberries and milk! Our only mistake was not wearing long pants into the thorny bushes, but even through our battle scars, we had a good time. Owen doesn't want to go again because he got cut up a bit more than he wanted to.

Blueberry Bowl by MeetaK.

Our next excursion was to a nearby Blueberry Plantation! Whatever we picked was only $2.50 per pound! The bushes we picked from were all the way in the back, and since these particular ones hadn't been cut back last year, they were tall enough to give plenty of shade. Tonight I made Blueberry Crisp. I'm going to try to freeze some of these berries instead of being a piggy and eating them all at one time! :o)

8 comments:

Michele said...

Where did you pick the blackberries at? We love them, but never can find some bushes.

Angela said...

Those look so good! Now I want blueberry pancakes. Thanks a lot :)

Whitney said...

Is the Blueberry Plantation out by Windsor, sort of? Where they hand you a bucket and you go blueberry crazy?!

Haha, I love that place :)


Just don't go in the 95 degree Florida weather!

Alice said...

do my eyes deceive me? dayna is back online - lol! i love blackberries and blueberries both. why didn't i get an invite ??? sounds like a fun trip :)

Alice said...

oh yeah, and i love your picture of blueberries - they look good enough to eat :O)

daynagonzalez said...

Michele, I would tell you where we picked them, but my friend swore me to secrecy!

Whitney, you've got the right place! There were so many that we had to make ourselves stop picking because we didn't have enough cash for all that we could have picked.

Alice, I'd love to claim it, but I didn't take that picture! :o)

Patti said...

We pick blueberries in my backyard BUT they are not very fruitful this year. Thanks for sharing your story if not your source! :-)

Rachel said...

Hey Dayna! It was great seeing you the other day at the shower. I posted pictures on the blog!