Thursday, September 6, 2012

"There is a God, and I am not Him"

My dad said that to me a while back, and it stuck. (He's a pretty smart guy who knows a lot of words. :o)

So, if I am not God, that means that I am not in control. I don't know everything. As much as I would like to micromanage my life down to the minute for the rest of my existence, I can't.  Because I am not God. And if I don't like that, well, whenever I get my own universe, I can do things differently. (That's from Francis Chan's Crazy Love.)

I am starting to realize that being in control all the time is much more difficult than trusting God. He's in charge anyway, whether or not I try to be in control, so why do I always try to take over His job? It's presumptuous of me to think I could do His job better than He can.

When I try to be in control, it wears me out! I get tired of carrying my "burdens" by myself. I get tired off trying to make everything perfect, because it never, is and it never will be.

Are you like me? Are you a control freak? Do you flip out whenever things don't go exactly as you planned? Or do you lay your burdens at the feet of Jesus?

"Cast all your care on Him, because He cares about you." 1 Peter 5:7 HCS

"Don't worry about anything. Instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7 NLT

In other words, instead of stressing out because it's not perfect, pray and be thankful. That's how you find peace.

I wish I could say that I've got this one down, but I don't. I stress out all the time. God is working on me, though. I think He is using Owen's accident to help me understand these things in a different way, all over again.

"I know it's going to be okay when I hear You say, 'Come to me when your weary. I'll give you hope when you're hurting. I'll give you rest from your burden now.'" -Jamie Grace, "Come to Me" from Matthew 11:28

No comments: