Friday, July 11, 2008

Recipe Fun Friday

I joined in on my cousin Nikki's "Recipe Fun Friday" this week. The idea is that each week you try a new recipe out and then share your results on Friday. I made Chicken Noodle Casserole on Tuesday, but I forgot to take pictures. Here's the recipe from my Kitchen Keepsakes cookbook. The parts not in italics are my own notes.

3 cups (6 oz.) uncooked noodles (I used egg noodles)
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup sour cream (for less fat use plain non-fat yogurt)
1/3 cup milk
1 Tbsp. chopped pimento (I left that out b/c I didn't have any)
1Tbsp. chopped parsley (fresh) or 1 Tsp. dried parsley
1/3 cup chopped celery (again, left it out b/c I didn't have any)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup diced, cooked chicken
Buttered bread crumbs (I used Italian bread crumbs)

Cook noodles as package directs (being sure to add salt while cooking as this is the best way to flavor pasta). Drain. Combine all ingredients except chicken and bread crumbs in saucepan. Heat thoroughly. Add chicken and noodles, mixing gently. Pour into greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Top with bread crumbs. Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Serve with tossed green salad and Sourdough Bread.

It was pretty good, but probably would have been better with the pimientos. If I had added the celery, I probably would have cooked it first because I don't think it would have gotten done in the 30 minutes that it was in the oven and I don't like crunchy celery in casseroles.....another good reason to leave it out.

3 comments:

MyKidsMom said...

Sounds yummy! Anything with chicken or noodles (but especially combined) works for me:)

I'm with you on the crunchy celery, I leave it out of all my cooked recipes for that very reason.

Nikki said...

This recipe sounds delicious! I will have to give it a try. Thanks for participating!

Nikki said...

I have finished chapter 7, but that is as far as I have gotten.