Saturday, June 14, 2008

Exciting last day of VBS

Yesterday after our last day of Vacation Bible School, we all had to clean up our classrooms so they would be ready for church on Sunday. Patsy wasn't able to stay because she was going out of town, so after we cleaned up, I wanted to drop off her things before she left.

As I was hurrying to her house, a police officer waved me over to the side of the road.

The air is out in the Suburban, so the windows were down. Tyson yelled out, "Oh, no! I forgot to buckle my seatbelt!" and I was sure that the officer heard him. I told Tyson, through gritted teeth, to buckle up as the officer came to my window.

I had been speeding down a very busy road. The officer asked for my driver's license and what year my Suburban was. When I told him it was an '88 or '89, he said, "So I don't think you have money to waste on a ticket do you?"

As he wrote me out a written warning, he said to be thankful because he doesn't give those very often. He must not have heard Tyson, after all.

This was the third time I've ever been pulled over, and it was the first time I've ever been pulled over for speeding. Those who've ridden with me before can attest to the fact that ever since I've had my babies, I drive like an old lady...and I'm usually very careful to make sure the kids are buckled up before we drive off.....so of course the one time I don't pay attention to what I'm doing, I get pulled over.

As we pulled back onto the road, I explained the boys that I had been breaking the law by speeding and that's why the officer pulled me over. Owen never said anything; he usually doesn't. Tyson asked, "Mommy, will you please not break the law anymore?"

Later, I forgot to tell Big O about it, so he heard it from Pam who saw me pulled over on the side of the road. Nothing goes unnoticed in a small town like ours!

2 comments:

Florida Girl said...

UGHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! I knew he was gonna tell you. I was trying to tell him that the officer had been stalking there for days and it made me so mad that he trapped you. I understand that you were breaking a law but he was just waiting and trying to trick people. I knew from the second I asked the question that I was in trouble. Sorry . . .

daynagonzalez said...

You are not in trouble! He wasn't even mad about it. He's had several tickets since we've been married, so he has no room to get upset about me getting pulled over....I had just forgotten to tell him! :o)