Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Because you DO care! :o)

"Well anyway"....apparently I unintentionally made a few of you feel guilty with my last post. The only one I really wanted to feel guilty was my sister because I just expect her to comment on every single post I write. (I really should cut her some slack though since she's pregnant, right?) That's really hypocritical of me since I don't comment on everything she writes, but from now on, I resolve to comment on every blog I read. Thank you to Whitney and Dustin for your faithful comments. Keep them coming! :o)

If you're wondering what time it is, it's 3:55 AM on the computer clock as I write this.....yes, Tyson woke me up again. Second time this week.....last time was Sunday at 1:30 AM ....it's LAEP week for crying out loud!! I don't have time to be awake!

Well anyway, this post is about vinegar and all the things I have found that I can use it for. I've never actually researched what all it can be used for, but these are ways that I've discovered for myself. Yes, at first it is stinky, but after a few minutes, the smell goes away. I've heard that vinegar is a natural deodorant/disinfectant, but I've never really researched it.

1. Cleaning fresh fruits and veggies.
My MIL, Carol, called me one day and said she'd read a study showing that if you use vinegar diluted with water to clean fresh fruits and veggies, you will kill more bacteria than just using water or soap and water. We eat a lot of those around here...I'm a little psychotic about my kids eating healthy. Carol knew this and thought I might find it helpful. Little did she know that it was just the beginning of my relationship with this miracle product. I got a spray bottle and filled it with a 50/50 water and vinegar solution and put it under the kitchen sink with my other kitchen cleaning aids.

2. Cleaning the onion smell off of my cutting board.
I tried it one day when I was trying to make my cutting board not smell like the strong onions and garlic I had just cut up. I had always used bleach before, and it kind of worked, but vinegar worked even better.

3. Cleaning the stinky boy's bathroom.
I have 2 boys...3 if you count my husband....and the little ones make boy messes on their bathroom floor. I wanted them to learn to clean it themselves but was paranoid about them using chemicals, so one day I handed them the bottle of vinegar from underneath the kitchen sink and they got to work cleaning their own bathroom. They've gotten really good at it now, and I let them keep the vinegar in a place where they can access it any time they make a mess. (I stopped using that bottle in the kitchen...germs! Gross!) I still clean once a week with real chemicals, but the smell the rest of the week in their bathroom is much better!

4. Cleaning Tyson's bed if he has an accident.
My mom told when I was first potty training the boys that if I put vinegar over a spot on the mattress where they had an accident, it would take the smell away. So ever since that's what I've done. Tyson sleeps on a plastic sheet underneath his regular sheet so that if he does have an accident, he can pull of his sheets, spray the plastic one with his vinegar bottle, and wipe it down. Then we use Lysol and let it air dry.

5. Carpet stains
A friend once told me that if I had a stain on the carpet, vinegar would help bring it to the surface to clean it easier. I'm not sure if I believe that or not.

6. Cooking
They say vinegar has many health benefits, so eat it in your salad dressings.

Do you have anything in your house that you've found works in unusual ways? Nikki, I'm guessing you do because I saw a book in Sherry's house that was titled, "How to Clean Just About Anything." If she hasn't shared that with you, shame on her! :o)

I talk way too much for 3:55 AM!

10 comments:

Nikki said...

I use vinegar a lot, too. Supposedly, it whitens your laundry, too, but I have not had it do that for me.

No, Sherry has not shared that book with me. Shame on her! I will have to borrow it some time!

Patti said...

I have used it in the laundry. Just wait until those little boys start getting big boy arm pits. :-)

I like apple cider vinegar for cooking -ex. it's in Cindy's yummy broccoli salad recipe.
I had a friend who suffered for years with kidney stones until he began taking a spoonful a day in a glass of water. Not something I've tried but it worked for him.

Thanks for the e. Sometimes I forget about how handy vinegar is.

Angela said...

Hey!! You can try this in your laundry and see if it gets the orange out!

I've heard the same thing about stains on your carpet. I should try it on mine since we have white carpet in the bedrooms. I know this is stupid, but right now if I get something little on my bedroom carpet, I just use scissors to trim it out. It's sort of a shag carpet, so you can never tell. I'm sure that trying vinegar is a better idea, though.

Florida Girl said...

Wow-so many interesting uses for vinegar and I only use it for coloring EASTER EGGS!

Nikki said...

I cannot believe I forgot this one earlier. I use vinegar to clean my hardwood floors. I just spray it on and wipe it up. And I don't have to worry about my children getting into it.

Dustin said...

You should go a blog post that appeals to the minority group in your blog following: the men. This really is a useless post for me.

MyKidsMom said...

I used to clean house for wealthy people while I was in college to earn a few extra bucks. Surprisingly, quite a few of them had me use vinegar and water to mop their vinyl (or whatever it's made of) floors. Like you said, it's chemical free, and it actually has a slightly sweet smell when mixed with a good amount of water. I also use it in deviled eggs and some other recipes. It balances out the sugar and really gives them an extra something in flavor.

Sorry, I don't suppose this information will be at all helpful to Dustin either..:)

Lehmansterms said...

The water dispenser in fridge has a tray that gets a build-up of something from our lovely well water. NOTHING would clean it off...until I tried vinegar. :)

Dustin said...

I also wanted to clarify that just because a blog may have the word "ninja" or "explosion" or "guns" does not automatically classify the blog as "man-tastic." It has to be legitimate.

Alice said...

well, i'm going to try the vinegar on the carpet stain. with 4 dogs and 4 cats living inside our house this might be a God-send if it works. thanks :O)