Friday, May 30, 2008

Living on one income in a two income economy!

Being a stay-at-home mom, I've had to find ways to cut costs here and there over the years. One of the biggest ways we've saved money is by being organized when it comes to meal preparation. I've learned that you can have it healthy, and you can have it cheap, and you can have it fast, but very rarely can you have all three at the same time. I've learned that if I make out a menu for the week and stick to it, then I'm less likely to go out when we're in a rush to get to an activity. If I know what we're having for dinner ahead of time, I know how long it takes to cook and can just plan to start dinner at a certain time. I've really messed up dinner a few times, and we had to go out, but that hasn't happened in quite a while. (By the way, I didn't know much about cooking when I first got married, but I learned a lot from watching Rachel Ray!)

I was able to spend the morning with my friend Rachel earlier in the week. Not only is she the QUEEN of thrifty, but she is also a very Godly lady, and I count myself blessed to know her. She gave me a few money saving tips while we were together and taught me how to make bread.....without a bread machine! (Mine didn't rise, but I'll try again!) A few of her blogs are about ways she's learned to save. She also let me borrow a book that helped has her to live frugally. It's called Miserly Moms by Jonni McCoy.

One more tip. I found this website last year that has a lot of good ideas. I used some of the recipes at Christmas time for gifts in jars and gift baskets. There is also a link there for you to download a free book telling how one woman learned to feed her family of 4 for $200 a month. Some of her ideas are a bit extreme, but she's got a lot of good advice that could be adapted to any family.

1 comment:

TheSpiff.com said...

I’ve been thinking a lot about cooking now that I’m about to have to do it and your blog helped me realize I need to start thinking about making meal plans haha. So thanks, good blog!