Saturday, January 24, 2009

Fun at home

I was challenged at MOPS this week to have more fun at home. I am a fuddy-duddy/fun-sucker by nature, so having fun is something that I have to plan. I am not spontaneous or carefree or creative...those are just not the gifts God has given me. But children need fun and since they never leave me to go have fun at school, I need to start planning fun.

So, this afternoon I made cookies with Tyson. A very special family in our church gave us a jar of Holiday Mint Cookie mix for Christmas, and since all the holidays are over, today was a good day to use it. Tyson loves to cook, so I got him busy mixing the dough. The directions said to use your hands, and I don't really like getting my hands messy, so that was a really good job for Tyson. (Unfortunately, Tyson's not keen on getting his hands messy, either, so I'm not sure how much fun that part was for him.)




After we mixed the dough, the directions said to make the dough into balls...again, involving getting your hands dirty. Tyson was busy washing the dough off of his hands, so I had to get my hands messy after all. I got finished with the first pan of cookies and realized that the flour in the bottom of the bowl hadn't gotten mixed in very well (because the adult in the room didn't help mix!) so I had to get my hands really messy and mix it up myself. By that time, Tyson was back to finish rolling the dough into balls, and we found a good compromise. I washed my hands and then used spoons to make globs of dough, and Tyson used his ballmaking-skills to make the dough globs into nice neat little balls (commenting as he did so that this was not making his hands THAT dirty and that teacher in K3 had taught him how to make good balls out of playdough and that's why he was so good at it now. So cute. :o)).



He did a really good job and the cookies turned out wonderfully!

You may be wondering why I only did something fun with Tyson and not with Owen, and I'll have to tell you it's because Owen would rather be reading a book....just like his mother. :o) So while Tyson was taking his bath tonight, I played two games of checkers with Owen. I won the first game and he won the second. Yes, a 6 year old beat me at checkers, and no, I did not let him win.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

I am a party pooper, too, so I need to schedule fun, too. John just gave Sarah Beth a pack of markers, and I can't stand her playing with them. She gets marker all over her hands, some on her face, and today she even got a little on Daniel. It's all washable, so it's not a big deal, is it? It is to me!!

Patti said...

I like to play BUT my kids know that everything we play TURNS INTO SCHOOL and they don't like that idea. Oh well. Guess I'll plan to play with my grandchildren one of these years > no hurries!

Thanks for sharing!

Florida Girl said...

I am also surrendering to having more fun and am so glad that I have realized the importance again sooner than later. The boys and I played a lot when they were young and sometimes it feels like I am so caught up in the everyday rat race now. It is amazing how much fun I have when I just set that time aside and devote my full attention to playing something silly.

Tyson is so adorable working on his cookies--he's one of my favorite models you know. :)

Angela said...

Hey I bought him that shirt for Christmas! :) He is such a cute cute cute little boy!!! I want to squish him when I see pictures like these.