Wednesday, February 18, 2009

An answer to prayer

The past few weeks we have battled bronchitis here in our home. Tyson had it first and now I have it. Little O has a cold and I'm monitoring him carefully to make sure he doesn't get bronchitis, too. Needless to say, school was a wash 2 weeks that Tyson was on albuterol. Last Friday I was so frustrated that I started seriously considering putting them in school this week. So I started talking to Owen and asking God if this was His answer to my prayer that life could settle down some for us. I thought I probably shouldn't make any rash decisions while we are all sick, but school has been very hard for me this year. I have to work almost every afternoon and I feel like I'm not able to give their schooling the attention it deserves. It would be so much easier if I could work while they're at school, and then I could play with them when they get home.

This morning I got up late, but I decided that I should spend my time with the Lord anyway. When I turned to the last chapter in 2 Timothy (where I am in my scheduled reading plan), the title of the first section was "Fulfill Your Ministry." Before I even started reading, I knew that God was about to answer my prayer. This is what the passage says.

1 Before God and Christ Jesus, who is going to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom, I solemnly charge you: 2 proclaim the message; persist in it whether convenient or not; rebuke, correct, and encourage with great patience and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not tolerate sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, will accumulate teachers for themselves because they have an itch to hear something new. 4 They will turn away from hearing the truth and will turn aside to myths. 5 But as for you, keep a clear head about everything, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time for my departure is close. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 In the future, there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me, but to all those who have loved His appearing.

I know that my ministry at this time in my life is primarily to my children. It's hard to accept that at times when there is so much more that I wish I could be doing....but God has pointed out to me over and over that their lives are so very precious to Him and He has given them to me for only a short season. I pray that they will not "turn away from hearing the truths and turn aside to myths." Right now, God has given me the responsibility to lay a strong foundation, to "train them up in the way they should go so that when they are old they will not depart from it." This part of the race is very hard for me, but I know that "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

1 comment:

Patti said...

Amen!
There are aspects of home education that get easier as the children get older so be encouraged to stay in the race now - this very foundational time - to build good habits & close relationships that will last through those potentially turbulent teen years - and beyond.
Yes you CAN do ALL things through Christ. His strength is perfect when our strength is gone.
Hugs!